Small Business Improvement Fund
Am I in a SBIF District?
Individual maps for specific districts are available through the Chicago Department of Planning and Development. All SBIFs are TIFs, but not all TIFs are SBIFs. Your business must be in the City of Chicago to apply for the grant.
1. Go to the City’s zoning map tool website: https://gisapps.cityofchicago.org/zoning.
2. When you arrive at the City of Chicago’s zoning page, click on the zoning map icon, and then click accept. After accepting, a new window will open with the screen below. This is the mapping tool. It may take a minute for the “data retrieving” to stop.
3. Click on the zoning tab on the upper right side of the screen, and then check the box next to “TIF,” as shown in the picture below.
4. Enter your address in the “Search by Address field,” or enter the cross streets into the “Search by Intersection” field. Your desired address should come up on the map with a circle around it. Go to the left side of the screen, and click the “Identify” button. Green crosshatchings or lines on the map indicate TIF areas. If you do not have the green cross hatching, you are most likely not in a TIF-SBIF. On the map below, you can see an area with the green “TIF” lines in the blue area, and an area without the green lines in the beige area.
5. Click on your address on the map. The identify button does require pop-ups in order to work correctly. You may need to adjust your internet settings to use this function.
If you have pop-up difficulty, there are two ways to fix it. There will either be a bar on the top of the screen that asks you if you want to allow the pop-ups or you can hold down the CTRL button when you click the identify tool. Both of these should work, but there is a chance that you will have to re-enter your data. If you still have problems, you are always welcome to submit your information through our online information request page (please include your e-mail address in the information request form), and we will follow-up with you.
6. After clicking on the Identify button and clicking on your address, you should see a pop-up window like the one shown below.
This pop-up window will include useful information such as:
TIF district, which we have circled in orange, the Ward and Alderman information, and sometimes whether you are in Empowerment Zones.
7. Once you have verified that you are in a TIF district name, please verify that your address is also in a SBIF district. The following list includes all the current SBIF areas.
If you are currently in a TIF district that is not a SBIF, please contact your alderman (you can find their information by using the identify button) and let them know that you would like to have the SBIF program implemented in your TIF district.